2/16/2011

Fred Tomaselli

Discovery of the day:
Fred Tomaselli
I found these beautiful works through Look into my Owl. What fascinating and in depth pieces this man creates! To quote wiki:
"Tomaselli's paintings include medicinal herbs, prescription pills and hallucinogenic plants alongside images cut from books and magazines: flowers, birds, butterflies, arms, legs and noses, which are combined into dazzling patterns that spread over the surface of the painting like a beautiful virus or growth."
Fantasic pieces that feed my imagination, works that take awhile to absorb!  He coats the finished product with resin, and I can't think of anything more glorious visually than looking thru the depth of resin at these primordial images.
Fred Tomaselli (American, b. 1956). Big Raven, 2008. Acrylic, photocollage, and resin on wood panel, 84 x 72 in. (213.4 x 182.9 cm). Private collection, courtesy of the artist, White Cube, London, and James Cohan Gallery, New York

Fred Tomaselli (American, b. 1956). Desert Bloom, 2000. Photocollage, acrylic, and resin on wood panel, 60 x 60 in. (152.4 x 152.4 cm). Collection of Martin and Rebecca Eisenberg
My love of anything organic prompts me to look further. I go to the Brooklyn Museum site and find this wondrous piece that puts me in a swoon and inspires my sad and lonely collage muse. What a celestial masterpiece. I am an instant fan. Can't believe I haven't seen his work before.
More on him here:
Brooklyn Museum
James Cohan Gallery
wiki

4 comments:

Patricia Moreno said...

Wonderful work!!And very interesting video at the Brooklyn Museum site. Thank you for the discovery!

Monkeybrain said...

VERY cool! Thanks for sharing Julie!

Liv said...

I really like that black collage, very beautiful!

nandy said...

Hello, Congratulations for your work! , paas you can see my work, I would like a review, greetings and thanks "

Fernando Nandy


___A place to find all kinds of information about collage.