10/27/2010

Whassup over here?

What's been happening???!! You ask.
It's so exciting. I finally figured out the answer to my dilemma!

It's been a difficult year for me as an artist. I have admitted that I came to a crisis point in the spring. I lost my desire to continue to do collage work and turned to watercolor for awhile as a break of routine. Through that experience I remembered why I spent so much time doing collage work. The textures and complexity of collage intrigue me.
The amount of background thinking during this period was staggering. I considered the act of being an artist and how it affects me and what I do. I considered my role as an artist and how I need to add something unique to the global dialogue. I reflected on my procedure, copyrights, and the amount of work that I pour into each piece. During this thought process a few things became clear.
Working the same way as before was now impossible. I have become uncomfortable using images the way I did in the past and the time for change is NOW.
I came to some new conclusions.
1. The way I have been working, my own personal process and result....it's been done. Over and over. And if it wasn't done by someone else, it's been done by ME!  There is no reason to continue on in this particular mode. For now, I have exhausted it. Time to move on to new frontiers. I need to bring my collage work to another level. And if need be, another platform.
2. I have a special skill set. Lucky me! Dad always spoke with disdain about a person that was jack of all trades and master of none. But, that's me. I know how to play and write music. I know how to create art. I know how to input this art to the computer and animate it. I can write. I know how to create products to reproduce any of the above.
To only use one of these skills and only do art seems like I am working at half-mast. In order to bring the full Julie Sadler experience to the global dialogue, I need to pump it up and start using all these skills. In combination. It's my special gift to have these abilities. Combining them is the answer.
3. The only thing I can add to the conversation is simply ME.

I am working really hard on combining art, photography, video, and my writing into some hi-definition video work. The artwork comes from me, as well as the photography, videos, concept, etc.  What a thrill to see your collage go live; to see action happening on a screen where you could see it only in your mind before. I feel rejuvenated. It's exhausting. Exasperating. And so Exciting!!

3 comments:

Monkeybrain said...

I have been checking your site every day, waiting for the next post to come up. I was actually thinking about writing something on my site because we both seem to be in a "re-discovery" mode and I thought that might be worth commenting upon again. And today.... voila! your post. I'm excited for you Julie and I too feel like I'm ready to "dig in" again. Your conclusions sound so exciting and you're correct, you have many great talents and one of the most impressive is your skill-set integrating multimedia! Awesome. I look forward with great anticipation to your work. Do you envision having "an event"! at some point in the future?

Monkeybrain said...

I have been checking your site every day, waiting for the next post to come up. I was actually thinking about writing something on my site because we both seem to be in a "re-discovery" mode and I thought that might be worth commenting upon again. And today.... voila! your post. I'm excited for you Julie and I too feel like I'm ready to "dig in" again. Your conclusions sound so exciting and you're correct, you have many great talents and one of the most impressive is your skill-set integrating multimedia! Awesome. I look forward with great anticipation to your work. Do you envision having "an event"! at some point in the future?

Julie Takacs said...

yes, I do. I am working hard on these Mohawk Valley pieces, and now I have moved them to video. I have a fine musician friend that is collaborating on some music. I do believe this is heading somewhere...
Meanwhile, i am working on creating a class to explain the process. I know you were interested. i will keep ya posted!!

Re-Discover On!!


___A place to find all kinds of information about collage.