2/16/2010

Predictions


A couple of years ago, I was approached by Cara Benson about participating in a project called Predictions. She invited me to participate a book that would require me to search my soul for feelings about our future here on Planet Earth. I have a deep love for forests, and I see them dwindling and slowly disappearing. I allowed my imagination to go wild on the topic and after much thought, I ended up thinking of a day when trees only appeared in tended gardens. It would be a time where our atmosphere would have degraded to such a degree that perhaps we would even have to contain, and therefore sustain vegetation.
Using collage as my medium, (*of course*) I tackled the subject and came up with 6 different ways of depicting this concept.
I probably posted them here while I was working on them, but here's a reminder of what they looked like.
Liquidation Detector
Liquidation Detector
2008
Mixed Media Collage on L'Anaquarelle
12 x 9
Vintage photo frame, snips from Emigre type catalog promoting the font Puzzler, wrapping paper, rice pasta bag, poster from religious mailer, marbled floral wrap, vintage atlas, instrument keys from vintage instrument catalog Tone Topics Issue 14

Operation Manual for Tree Isolation Unit
Operation Manual for Tree Isolation Unit
2008
12 x 9 on L'Anaquarelle
pen and ink, tissue paper label, Vintage The Vermonter cover, Chinese Calendar box, automotive poster, medical book, popular mechanics cuts, Kirsch drapery brochure


Some time has passed since I did these pieces, and now the book has been published and even reviewed by the Brooklyn Rail.
I can't resist posting an excerpt here>
"If “Global futures cannot be predicted due to three types of indeterminacy—ignorance, surprise and volition,” then it is necessary to begin with hypothetical scenarios. Who better to work with such scenarios than professional visionaries who creatively tinker elusive material into potent realities?...
...We cannot imagine falsely and Julie Sadler imagines images of things like a “Harmonic Human Invasion Instrument” and a “Landscape Containment Unit.” These gorgeously reproduced collages combine vintage instruments with barren trees and wrappers in a meld of alchemical layout. They are blueprints for the fusing of a malleable past into an elastic future."

The book turned out to be quite cool. You can purchase it here.

6 comments:

Monkeybrain said...

Very cool Julie! So did they publish your images in the book?

Monkeybrain said...

Very cool Julie! So did they publish your images in the book?

Julie Takacs said...

Hells yea! I have 12 pages, full color, dead in the center! Sweet!

Did you get in the encaustic workshop? I will bring a copy to class to show you...

Monkeybrain said...

Yes... I'm excited about it. It's something I've been wanting to learn for a long time. I can't wait to see the book. That's AWESOME Julie! What is your connection to the author? Of course, now I'm gonna have to buy the book ;-)

Julie Takacs said...

Connection to author? Well, actually Cara was more like the curator. There were a few artists/writers featured in the book...
I had no prior connection with Cara. She found my work online (maybe on magikglasses?) and wrote me an inquiry email. It was a cool experience. Will bring book for you Saturday. (yay! can't wait to hang out and make art with you!)

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed with your collages, the editorial comments and your vision. Of course, I hope the world never comes to that, but it could happen.


___A place to find all kinds of information about collage.