4/22/2008

Nicola Starr

Nicola Starr, an artist from England, features a few collage galleries on her illustration website.
The Catcher in the Rye is a gallery featuring works that were inspired by the book of the same name. I really liked the collective nature of this set of pieces. These are collages that utilize a neutral color scheme and then she adds these little swaths of red and they pack just the punch that is needed. The red segments really seemed to bring these pieces together. Theme-wise it works nicely. (and I have to admit I haven't read the book, but now that I have looked at these pieces, AND read the wiki explanation of the book, I am intrigued and now I need to read it, even if just to be able to better reach the messages that these works may contain!)


Another gallery available on her site is called State Magazine. These were pieces that were from a magazine with a most fascinating title called Stop To Appreciate The Echo. These I am just nuts about because I like the bits of natural imagery that she employed on these pieces. They have a loose format, with informal placement of subjects, which of course I am also a fan of. (reminds me of ths and his gluebooks)


I wish there was more to see, but then again, I guess I shall have to bookmark her site for another visit further on down the road.

No comments:


___A place to find all kinds of information about collage.