12/30/2008

Alexis Mackenzie — Collage of nature


Hope the holidays are progressing nicely for YOU. We are halfway there, with New Years on our horizon. I am almost finished with the multitudinous family events that have taken over my life for the past 2 months and today finally I am back on the blog again. Hello again! It feels good to be back. I felt as though I left my own life for awhile.
So, lets look at some new stuff.

I was cleaning out my bookmarks list (how DOES that list get so long so quick? I am a surfing fool) and I found this old link to an interview on Fecal Face with Alexis Mackenzie. I must have found it on a day that I already had interesting things to post here, and there the bookmark sat, lonely in my Firefox list....since April. So without further adieu.

Q: What do you get when you mix Victorian ladies, flowers, bats, gems, and bones?
A: Collage work by Alexis Mackenzie

Alexis Mackenzie does meticulous collage work. According to the fecal face article, she is very particular about her ephemera and only uses original pieces, no copies. (I think this is a common policy among collagists. I think that using originals certainly helps your copyright usage issues, and it may also be one small way to separate fine art collage from scrapbooking). I really enjoy her surrealistic natural settings. They are colorful, imaginative, and inventive. I share her love of old ladies dressed in insanely elaborate clothing. She uses these ladies freely and places them in colorfully poetic settings. I love it. I just want to be in this picture floating above a rock with an owl offering me a flowering sprig.

Her website is here, but there more to be found image wise on her flickr pages.
Sweet surreal stuff.

No comments:


___A place to find all kinds of information about collage.