7/13/2013

Selfie

Been reading on the web about the selfie phenom. It's where a person takes photos of themself ...via all those wondrous techno devices we have available to use now. What a blast! Here's a wiki definition: "selfie is a genre of self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a hand-held digital camera or camera phone. Selfies are often associated withsocial networking and photo sharing services such as MySpaceFacebook, and Instagram, where they are commonly posted."

 The whole selfie thing was something I just discovered but the idea of a self portrait via art surely isn't a new idea! Frida did it.  Van Gogh did it. Durer did it. And thankfully he did, I love his self portraits most of all.
Durer Self Portrait
Each year for the past 3 years I have given my dear husband a set of artwork based on the sea, since that is where we spend our vacation time together. It's a sweet topic loaded with fodder for my wild imagination. Since this set of artwork is for my love, I try extra hard to bare my soul on these works and try to make them extra good, extra special. E X T R A everything.
My love of the ocean stirred romantic visions of my own self, with a lot of shells, seaweed, and ocean wrapped in my hair. I made it real with collage. I took a photo of myself (yes, a selfie) and used it and made it happen. I was the mother of pearl. All whites...freshly married and feeling white. That was my absolute favorite work of that year. I was very pleased with idea of giving my self to him...via art.
Last year, I was all about mermaids. I made images of merchicks and immersed myself in the idea of being a mermaid. I cannot recall whether or not I did a self portrait but I have been thinking about it for months.
Finally this year I decided I was going to do a whole series of them.
An iPad, and iPhone, a camera, my tools of selfie! I have done 3 more self portraits with the aid of my camera. Again these are based on the sea. I cannot stop myself. I have 3 done and I am formulating the fourth. It's a great thing to put yourself in the art. It feels so utterly liberating! And I am not afraid to do anything, like I am when I use a photo that's already been taken of someone I have never met. Through the art I am going places. Places I want to  take you....
It's my version of a selfie.
Masquerade -  3rd Year

Mother of Pearl - 1st Year

5 comments:

Jo Murray said...

GREAT selfies...well done you.

Monkeybrain said...

I LOVE your "Mother of Pearl" selfie!!! The other one is awesome too... but MoP is great! I think I need to join the club and do a selfie myselfie ;-) Glad you're back Julie!

Ila said...

This is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

fantastic!

Collage said...

fantastic!


___A place to find all kinds of information about collage.